Wednesday, November 22, 2006

On the Road Again

"On the road again," I sing to myself stuck in L.A. traffic today, millions on the road and me planning a garage sale for the day after the turkey slaughter to put pennies in my pocket and somehow make the car payment. Haven't worked in so long don't know what a pay check looks like any more. I am definately no longer a full time writer, I'm a full time loser, but hey I'm in good company, half of the people I know can't figure out how to live and pay their regular bills in America today. Who are those people who are in a good economy? Maybe it's just that so many people I know are poets??? No, I think it's more widespread than that.

Ads for what you can buy in a store are an insult when you can't pay the rent. People talk about the latest movies, but it's been months since you could afford the ticket. You look everyday, sometimes get a great interview, wait six weeks and finally end up begging the interviewer to tell you if you have the job or not, which he does. A polite, we offered the job to someone else. It's America, coming now to the vast once middle class.

So anyway, we're sellling out, going north to family to regroup, find a way out of this black hole. This subject's not very poetic, but it's real. News yesterday said 15% of N.Y. City residents can't pay their bills or buy enough food. Let's see, the population of N.Y. is around 8 million. That's 1 million 200 thousand people who can't meet their basic needs. What is happening to the richest nation in the world?
I'll be thinking about that in the next few weeks on the road, sold out, wondering what's next.

No comments: